Love him or hate him, you have to admit that Donald Trump is good at twitter. He is able to make a statement, give an opinion in just about every tweet and make it engaging. He knows just when to pump up the volume to get more attention.
So what can we learn about using social media, and more specifically twitter, from Trump?
- Post something every day. Trump’s twitter feed is updated daily. In this way he stays at top of mind for his millions of followers.
- Post several times a day. He never knows when his followers will be online so he is sure to catch them by writing something at various times.
- Make a statement, then add your opinion. Trump has a very distinctive writing style which always includes these two things. Tell your followers what you want them to know, then tell them how you feel about it, or how they should feel.
- Be concise and consistent. His statements are always like newspaper article titles. They give you just enough information that you know what he is talking about. You only have 140 characters! Also, try to keep these statements to the same style so people know how to read them.
- Get excited. Trump is now afraid of exclamation points. It makes you feel like he really believes what he is saying. His enthusiasm gets people talking.
Now I just want to point out that you should not follow his lead on many of his twitter habits. It is not ok to call people names. It is not ok to make generalizations about entire groups of people based on race, religion, sex, or place of birth. Of course if that is your brand, go for it! You could run for President!
Photo Credit: Twitter. Screenshot of Donald Trump’s Tweet